Interview: Call Me Anything
1) The usual starter question: What are your names and what do you play?
Hello there, I’m William. I’m 6’4, have washboard abdominal muscles, and sing in Call Me Anything.
2) How old are you?
If I had to guess, I’d say a bit older than you.
3) How do you combine two very different guys of different musical backgrounds to make such an amazing band?
It almost works in out favor. I’m more trained in the classical sense. So think piano, ear training, theory, etc. But Matt’s got me beat in the world of programming and tracking. Somehow we bring those two worlds together to make pop music.
4) Why exactly did Brandyn depart Call Me Anything, and will he be returning?
Brandyn got into an awesome school down south and decided that it was something he had to pursue. Although he won’t be coming back to play in the band, he does come to chill at most CMA events.
5) Which one of you would you say has the best sense of humor?
It really depends what you’re talking about, but probably Matt. I’m all business.
6) In 100 American Town, who wrote most of it? And is Alli the real name of the girl behind the song?
I wrote “100 American Town” last year when I was doing most of the writing for CMA, but the song isn’t really about Alli. I was starting to realize that a lot of my friends were growing up, and becoming “Adults,” and Alli just happened to be there. I randomly ran into her one day, and seeing her kind of put it all in perspective for me. That’s where the line “So Alli, Look what you’ve done to me” comes from. She’s a nice girl though, I see from time to time.
7) What are some places or venues you would like to go musically in the future?
8) What made you choose “The One That Got Away” to cover?
We both love Katy Perry so much. “Teenage Dream” and “One Of The Boys” are such awesome records, and we think she’s so talented. As soon as she announced that “The One That Got Away” was going to be the sixth single, we knew we had to cover it.….Wish we did a better job though….
9) I know that a lot of people are always bagging on Matt for ‘changing genres’ since he has his own YouTube, and many people say that he should be the one singing, etc. How do you respond to that?
Haha how do I respond? I don’t really. This industry is nuts, and you’re never going to be able to please everyone. I’ve never let negative comments get to me, and I’m not going to start with a bunch of YouTube kids. Obviously since Matt is really popular on YouTube, kids are going to ask from him. The same way that kids on the road are going to ask for me, because I’ve been on the road since I was 15. You just gotta do your thing, and do it well. If you you do that, the right people will notice eventually.
10) What do you spend most of your time doing while on tour?
On tour? Playing music.
11) How is Winston?
Unfortunately Winston died in a car accident. I wish I were kidding.
12) When you were in high school, when was the latest you stayed out? And did you get in trouble for it?
Hahah uhhh, well I went to boarding school so it was a little different. But I probably starting staying out late when I was a junior? At first I’d have to lie to my parents, and tell them I was sleeping over at a friends house, but that gig stops working quickly. Eventually my parents made peace with it. My only advice is to always have fun, but try to be safe at the same time. Stay out late, have a good time, but don’t drive home if you can’t. That’s not cool.
13) Now that you guys are ‘celebrities’, what is the craziest thing girls have done to talk to you?
This one girl kept trying to get into the green room at one of our shows in June, and we thought she was with press, but when she was asked to leave, it turned out that she wasn’t with any magazine/etc. I laughed.
14) If you could be featured on any upcoming album, or a previous album of any band, what would it be?
Ahh shit, I dunno. Nickelback? Rebecca Black?
15) If you were an animal, what would you be?
16) When you were in school, what was your favorite subject? Best subject?
My best subject was always Latin. I only had to take it for two years in high school because I got so far in middle school. My favorite subject was history. For some reason I found it really interesting. I managed to work my love for history into a few upcoming songs. Get stoked.
17) If you could switch places with any celebrity for a day, who would it be and what would you do?
Hmmm, he’s not really a celebrity, but Butch Walker. I love him so much. Other than that, probably Emma Watson. You know, so I could look at myself naked.
18) When do you estimate being down on tour in Tennessee?
We were there last summer. It was rad. I expect that will be there again no later than _____?_____. Thanks for taking the time to interview me. You’re a doll. Stay fresh, stay fly, and eat skittles. Talk soon betch.